Sunday, June 21, 2009

Making a (feel) good decision

The month of June always inspires me to look back and asses the trail of life which I have left behind. Times fly very fast since I first set my foot in Dubai in October 2008. Now it is going to be another 4 months to complete a 1 year cycle of my life as an expat in this great city.

As my life settles day by day in this new place which I started to call home, there are many decisions which forced me to make up my mind on my commitment to my new life. It is easier to advise a client than to advise myself. Because to me the struggle is not only to ensure that I make a good decision but the decision must come with a feel good factor with it. It is about making a decision and feel happy about it.

One of such decisions is as simple as whether I should buy a car or continue on renting. On 6 June 2009 I attended the most awaited event of my life in Dubai i.e my driving test. I passed the test and now I have a valid UAE driving licence which also entitles me to buy a car here. I can write a lengthy opinion if a client ask me on the advantages and disadvantages of buying or renting a car in Dubai. But when it comes to me making that decision, the hard facts alone are simply not enough for me. I need something to spark the good feeling behind the decision. I dont know what it is, but I must continue looking for that factor.

Anyway, maybe there is no such factor in the first place. Maybe it is just the overwhelming anticipation of going home this July. So let me not run to the car showroom but instead take a lazy relax leisurely stroll whilst listening very hard to the beats of my heart.






The risk of wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision

Maimonides

Spanish philosopher
1135 - 1204

5 comments:

Lab papa said...

Wah bro, congrats on your new licence. How was the test? Was it easier or harder compare to us. Here in Japan, is tooooooooooooo technical!!!

p/s Jeep? Is that what you are thinking? I like :)

Syamsulfaiz said...

Lab papa,
The driving test in dubai is not really difficult in term of technicalities. But there is a public perception that there is a quota system on the number of succesful candidates. In fact in average people repeat their test 2-5 times before they pass. I was very fortunate to have passed just in one test.People hate driving tests here. I spent 6 months for the whole process. And it wasn't cheap also.

doremon said...

long, balik july lama mana? raya?

cohong gym said...

Along, cantek tu jeep. Aku pun kalau bole teringin gak nak sebijik. pastu tukar tayar kasi lagi besar dan ganas. fuhhhhhhhhhhhh bergaya sungguh.

Tapi yang penting jangan terburu-buru. Jangan ikutkan perasaan.

ApOgEE said...

angkat la 4x4 satu.. barulah ekstrem gitu...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails